First timers often have similar questions about what to expect for their first class.
We’ll try to answer some of them here:
How do I start?
Plan to arrive 10 – 15 minutes before your class begins. We will meet with you then, answer any questions you may have and show you around the facility.
What equipment do I need to bring?
For your first class, all you will need are some fitting workout shorts and a t-shirt. Bringing a mouth piece and groin protection is always good for added safety. At the end of class we will advise you on the equipment you will need for your chosen program. All of our classes are conducted on a matted area and practice is done barefoot.
Most people who have never trained in a Martial art usually don’t understand the code of ethics inside a gym. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you get started:
- Be respectful ~ One of the most important aspects is having respect for the instructors, the gym and everyone else inside it. Upon arriving and before you do anything else, shake hands and introduce yourself to the front desk, the instructor, as well as other students.
- Listen and try your best ~ Come to class with open ears and an open mind.
- Watch and Learn ~ Follow along with what other students that have been there for a while are doing. If you have any questions, please ask at an appropriate time. 🙂
- Pace yourself ~ For two reasons ~ 1) Combat sports are very physically demanding and to avoid injury you will need to take a little bit of time to acclimate. 2) Training in the gym is not a life or death situation. Everyone is there to learn safely and not get hurt. You will be asked to sit out and possibly leave if you can not control yourself.
- Good attitude ~ A positive attitude is an absolute key to success. Bring it with you and you will see!